This job description was posted on the internet by an animation company, and gives a good idea of the skills needed for this job.
This post is established to assist the art director’s processes required to develop the company’s concepts.
Desired Candidate Profile
- Exposed to a production driven environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Arts/Design related degree will be ideally preferred
- Must have excellent 2D skills and traditional technical knowledge
- Effective communication skills
- Knowledge of 3d software (Maya) would be a plus!!
- Knowledge and experience of After Effects is a plus!!
- A keen interest in design, architecture and film.
- Ability to visually interpret other people’s ideas.
- Ability to be flexible and to adapt to change when requested;
- Understanding of 3D Animation processes.
- Skilled at quick analysis, problem solving and decision making.
- Capable of motivating and inspiring teams with enthusiasm if need be.
- Calm, organized and methodical in approach to work. Able to remain so under pressure and when working with tight deadlines.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Working closely with the Director and the artists.
- Handling creative decisions.
- Creation of character designs, sketches, animation concepts, storyboard, concept arts, project pitch concepts, etc.
- Min. 2 years experience as asst. art lead in the animation industry.
- Must have strong visual and technical skills.
Max the Mutt has had 2 people hired directly from the school as Assistant Art Directors for Nelvana/Corus Entertainment. Both have been very successful in that position.
Saar Bodman is one of them. In this interview he talks about his job and the skills and attitude necessary for success.