Matte Painting for Visual Effects, designed by James Raiz, a new post-diploma Certificate Intensive!
James Raiz is a Senior Digital Matte Painter and Concept Artist at Pixomondo.
“A matte painting is a painted representation of a landscape, set, or distant location that allows filmmakers to create the illusion of an environment that is nonexistent in real life or would otherwise be too expensive or impossible to build or visit. Historically, matte painters and film technicians have used various techniques to combine a matte-painted image with live-action footage. At its best, depending on the skill levels of the artists and technicians, the effect is “seamless” and creates environments that would otherwise be impossible to film. In the scenes the painting part is static and movements are integrated on it.” ( Wikipedia)
Canada is a major centre for Visual Effects, and demand for matte painters is high.
Requirements for consideration for this program for Canadians and International applicants include:
- completion of a relevant diploma or degree or equivalent work experience,
- strong concept art and photoshop skills,
- and basic 3D experience (preferably Maya).
What will you learn in this certificate program?
- How to create a realistic matte painting from scratch.
- How to work in a visual effects production pipeline.
- Time management skills.
At the end of this course, you will have a DEMO REEL with 3 to 4 competed Matte Paintings.
This spring/summer, the program will run as an intensive, running for 6 weeks, with 3 classes per week – 1 weeknight, and two three hour classes on Saturday. Class size is limited to 12.
Week 1: Matte Painting Basics 1
- Replacing Greenscreen plate with new background matching perspective of plate
- Replace elements in a scene with new elements
- Set Extension
Week 2: Matte Painting Basics 2
5.Basic Matte Painting Creation 1: Blocking in Elements
6.Basic Matte Painting Creation 2: Integration of Elements
Week 3: Intermediate Matte Painting 1
- Matte Painting Assignment 1: Concepting a Matte Painting for Production
- MPA1: Creating a Sky
- MPA1: Blocking in Photographic Elements
Week 4: Intermediate Matte Painting 1
- MPA1: Integration of Elements
- MPA1: Effects, MP Finishing & File Prep for Projection
- Simple Maya Projection, Geometry preparation for Nuke
Week 5: Intermediate Matte Painting 2 – working with 3D
- MPA2: Preparing 3D for Production
- MPA2: Concepting around 3D, Create Sky
- MPA2: Block in Photographic Elements
Week 6: Intermediate Matte Painting 2 – working with 3D
- MPA2: Integration of Elements
- MPA2: 3D Preparation & Nuke Projection
- Matte Painting Demo Reel
Class size is limited to 12.
Tuition: $1620 (+HST) (54 hours of instruction at $30 ) A tuition reduction is offered to graduates of MTM’s Concept Art Diploma Program see it here.
To apply for this program please email us now at firstname.lastname@example.org.