- Completed APPLICATION FORM and PORTFOLIO REVIEW FEE: Once you book the date for your review, you will receive an email confirming this appointment that includes both a link to a page on our website, and the required password to complete and submit the application form and pay your review fee.
- A copy of your secondary and/or post-secondary school transcripts. Please provide transcripts from any institution attended in the last five years.
- A written character reference from a current or past instructor or employer. This should be emailed to email@example.com. Please ask your reference to write “Character reference for ___________” in the subject line.
GENERAL Portfolio Requirements
- A drawing of your own hand.
- 2 still life drawings done from observation ( not from your imagination, and not copied from a photo). Each drawing should have at least 2 objects ( for example a bottle and an apple) set up on a surface such as a table top, and drawn in relation to each other and the surface they are on. These drawings can be line drawings (no tone required), but attention should be paid to composition and line quality.
- An observational drawing of part of a room (interior).
- An observational drawing of what you see outside.
- Pages from your sketchbook
Program Specific Requirements for Concept Art
- Three additional drawings (for a total of five) of objects in an environment. For example: an apple and a bottle on a table, or a toy truck and a toy car on the floor. For the final 3 still life studies, please direct a light source at the set-up and include the tonal pattern you see throughout the drawing. The same set ups could be used for 2 or 3 of the paintings that are the next requirement!
- Five painting studies in watercolour, acrylic, gouache, or oil. At least 2 of these painting studies should be done from life: set up a simple still life (one or two objects) on a desk or table top ( best done with a simple backdrop such as a wall, behind the set up), direct a light source to create tonal pattern. Let the object/s take up most of the space, do thumbnails to decide on the best placement/composition. See the set-up as if it is already painted, a mosaic of shapes of colour. These are studies- we do. not expect you to create ‘realism” but do need to see that you are comfortable with using a brush, mixing colour, and trying to see colour changes in relation to each other. HINT: scan and compare, do not paint the objects first and then “throw in” the background. Every part of your surface is part of the abstract pattern of shapes of colour that come together to create the illusion of 3 dimensional space.
- A drawing of a simple object from three different points of view.
- Decide on a story, or work from one you know. Write a paragraph about the story and the world you are creating,
- For this story, create a key imaginary environment. Initial ideas can be hand drawn, but for the final piece please use digital media and colour.
- Design a character for your story who is appropriate for the story and the environment. Please include thumbnails and process drawings as well as the completed design. The final submission should be done using digital media and colour. Show back and front views of the character.
- Design a prop appropriate for the story that we will find in the environment, or that the character will use. Include process drawings as well as the final drawing.
Additional work that you would like the reviewer to see can be included in separate folder.
- Optional: Examples of digital painting.
- Optional: Life drawing (figure drawing).
Two to three page essay about yourself and why you want to attend this program. Your essay must include:
- Which animated films and/or video games have concept design that has inspired you? Why?
- Which historical fine artists do you admire? Why?
- What are your favourite books?
- Have you had any team or group experiences
- Why do you want to be part of this program?
For 2022 applicants all application interviews will be held online. Once you have booked your review date you will receive the link to submit your application and pay your review fee. Submit your documents and portfolio at least 2 days before your scheduled Skype review by PDF attachments to emails, or by creating a Google Drive and giving both admissions and your reviewer permission to view.
Additional Requirements For International Students
Before deciding to apply, please be aware:
- Upon acceptance, you will have to apply for a Study Permit. Therefore, before you begin the application process and invest your time and energy, we suggest that you take the time to be sure that you meet Canadian Immigration guidelines!
TO QUALIFY FOR A STUDY PERMIT, YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING:
- An IELTS General test overall score of 6.0 or greater
- Proof of funds to study and support yourself while in Canada
- A valid Passport of more than 6 months
- Notarized Copies of transcripts
If you feel that you meet the above criteria and you have decided to apply… please contact the Admissions Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
INCOMPLETE PORTFOLIO REVIEW APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED. PLEASE REVIEW ALL THE REQUIREMENTS CAREFULLY. DO NOT MAIL IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE! MAX THE MUTT IS ONLINE DURING THE COVID CRISIS.
How to Apply