The Introduction to Colour Theory workshop provides a broad overview of the fundamental colour concepts and principles of Colour Theory: contrasts in hue, value, saturation, temperature, compliments, quantity and perception. The course offers a combination of theoretical and practical application of the colour mixing in acrylics, colour manipulation and design. Through a variety of assignments, the students will study the ways light, atmosphere and perspective transform colour and learn techniques on how to create depth, colour contrast and balance in their work.
Why should you learn Colour Theory?
- Colour Theory is around us every day!
- There are important differences in the uses of CMYK and RGB
- CMYK and RGB both have specific uses in various forms of art
- Both include Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary colours
- Understand the differences between Hue, Shade, Tint, and Tone and how this affects your finished product
When you register for this online colour theory course, you will receive 25% off this workshop’s listed pricing by using the coupon code STAYATHOME25 . Please note materials are not included in this cost. These materials should be purchased after we have sent out a confirmation email that this class will be running. This workshop requires Internet Access and will take place via Google Hangouts. An in depth material list with references will be emailed to those who register for this workshop.
- Paper: Watercolor cold press paper, 140 lb/300g Size: 9”x12” or 11”x14” 12 sheets or more & sketch paper of any size or color
- Acrylic Paints: Three primary colours (Red, Blue, Yellow) + White and Black
- Paint brushes – 4 Synthetic, Short handle brushes: Large Flat brush – Size #16, Medium Flat brush – Size #8 or #10, Medium Round brush – Size # 6 or #8, Fine Round brush – Size #0, or #1, or #2
- Sponge Paint Brush
- Palette, Water Container, & Paper Towel
- Black Sharpie
- HB Pencil & Eraser
- Masking Tape
- Set Square & Ruler
- Masonite Board (Optional)
About the Instructor
MAYA IVANOVA is an internationally trained architect whose 18-year work experience has taken her from designing buildings, interiors, and urban landscapes to painting for TV Productions.
As a 2D background artist, Maya has worked on the award-winning shows The Lion Guard and Tangled – The Series for the Walt Disney Company as well as on the Netflix productions Atomic Puppet, Hilda, Star, Captain Sinbad Bed and Breakfast, Canticos, Molly, Kid Cosmic and others.
For over 10 years Maya has been sharing her experience and passion for art with young and developing artists by teaching at her art studio, at The City of Toronto and currently at Max the Mutt College of Art, Design and Animation.
Through her courses, Maya introduces the concepts of special design, structural composition, aesthetics of colour and professional painting techniques in both traditional and digital media. Watch the video below or click here for a brief summary of what will be covered in this course by Maya herself!