The Digital Background Painting workshop teaches the basics of Photoshop and the step process of design and rendering of animated backgrounds. The principals of Photoshop and professional techniques will be presented through the use of a variety of processes and applications while painting landscapes, architectural and fantasy environments. Lectures and “hands-on” lab-time will be given for practice and application of the theory taught in this course. Creative thinking will be promoted in order to encourage individuality of style through the students’ original designs, layouts, and paintings.
This Digital Background Painting workshop is aimed at beginners, though students with some experience or familiarity with Photoshop are welcome to attend.
What is Digital Background Painting?
- Background painting is a versatile and grounding element to creating art and telling stories
- Plays a pivotal role in setting mood, staging scenes, expanding worlds, and building dynamics
- An essential element of animation, art, and design
- Can aid in building an art-based career
Please note materials are not included in this cost. These materials should be purchased after we have sent out a confirmation email that this class will be running. This workshop requires Internet Access and will take place via Google Hangouts.
- PhotoShopCC (Though earlier version are also acceptable)
- Laptop or computer (for online learning), computer mouse, tablet and stylus (digital pen)
- External hard drive – recommended for backing up your work but not required
About the Instructor
MAYA IVANOVA is an internationally trained architect whose 18-year work experience has taken her from designing buildings, interiors, and urban landscapes to painting for TV Productions.
As a 2D background artist, Maya has worked on the award-winning shows The Lion Guard and Tangled – The Series for the Walt Disney Company as well as on the Netflix productions Atomic Puppet, Hilda, Star, Captain Sinbad Bed and Breakfast, Canticos, Molly, Kid Cosmic and others.
For over 10 years Maya has been sharing her experience and passion for art with young and developing artists by teaching at her art studio, at The City of Toronto and currently at Max the Mutt College of Art, Design and Animation.
Through her courses, Maya introduces the concepts of special design, structural composition, aesthetics of colour and professional painting techniques in both traditional and digital media.